Saturday, June 24, 2006

Soccer and Butterflies

This afternoon was the training session for the annual blood draw for the cohort study of dengue transmission. A large group of nurses came to the health center to learn about the project and to practice drawing blood and labeling the vials. It's quite a sophisticated operation - each time they take a sample, they record the details electronically in a PDA(Palm Pilot). The whole thing is going to start in early July, and teams of nurses will go out into the community and take blood samples from all of the children who are enrolled in the study. This year, they are trying to make things easier for the nurses and they will encourage the parents to bring their children to the health center. However, those who do not come to the health center will receive a visit from the team of nurses to their houses.

As part of the training I agreed to participate as a volunteer for a role playing exercise. I thought this meant that the nurses would pretend to draw my blood and would learn
how to label the vials and enter the data in the PDA. What I didn't know was that I had actually volunteered to have my blood drawn. It went fine. They used brand new, sterile Butterfly needles (the same kind that I used my first week of medical school when I learned how to draw blood). And when the needle entered my vein I didn't feel a thing. It was actually the most painless blood draw I've ever had.













Afterwards I went to a local bar with William and Mario (the two guys who manage the database) to watch the World Cup match between Mexico and Argentina. It was a good game, and Mexico played well, but in the end they couldn't come up with a second goal, so their World Cup dreams came to an end. Argentina moved on to play Germany in what should be an excellent game.














2 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check next time before you volunteer!

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.




low carb recipe


Hi matey and blog buddies, enjoyed the blog most interesting. Not sure how well you are doing in driving more traffic to your blog but If you are interested in promoting your site and getting more visitors (aren't we all??) I would definitely recommend the free Link Referral Program.

I have a website featuring low carb recipe amongst other stuff and after trying every seo software/program on the net I got tipped off by an IT techi mate that the Link Referral Program was the best - more importantly it's free!!

The signup process was quick and before long my hits increased dramatically. Consequently my affiliate sales commissions and business sales went through the roof PLUS my website increased in google ranking which was an added bonus!!

If you didn't need this advice then I am sorry but you did have anonymous posting enabled on your blog. If anyone else has any good ideas for driving more traffic to blogs/websites then please share with your online business blog buddies. Ta ;-)









the Link Referral Program

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home